For this project you will be investigating the history of poster design, review and analyze four examples of poster art using rhythm, design a poster reflecting an art movement, and create a series of two art posters based on a theme of your choice.
· Investigate and research the history of poster art. Be sure to include the early history leading up to today, as well as, various movements and styles. Be sure to include visuals to support this research.
(A minimum of 2 pages in your journal)
Below are a series of links that will assist you in your research for the history of poster art:
· Review the link about rhythm. Find four different poster designs that display an example of each of the four types of rhythm (regular, flowing, progressive, and alternating) and describe how it is demonstrated within the example you have chosen.
(2 pages in your journal)
Below are a series of links that will assist you in finding examples of posters for rhythm:
· Choose a poster art style and create the poster from an event that is taking place in Shanghai. Go to www.cnngo.com/Shanghai and find an event that is taking place within the city as the content of your poster. There are a variety of choices of art movements and styles to choose from that have been covered in poster art. Some examples are as follows: Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Belle Epoque, Pre-Raphaelites, Surrealism, Expressionism, Op-Art, German Plakatstil (poster style), Scotland’s Glasgow School, Austria’s Vienna Secession, Russian Constructivists, Bauhaus, de Stijl, Futurism, Dadaism, Sachplakat (object poster style) Cappiello Style, International Typographic Style, 1950’s style, and Post-Modernism. Include in your journal background information regarding the style, artists involved, and two examples from that style. The re-design should display one form of rhythmwithin the work.
(1-2 pages in your journal)
Below are some links that will help you decide which style to choose:
· The final poster design series will consist of two works based from a theme.
Choose from the following themes as the subject to your design: Travel and Leisure, Olympics and Sports, War and Propaganda, Publications, Food and Drink, Social Concerns, Festivals, Film, Music, Politics, Fashion, Fairs & Exhibitions, Galleries, Products, Retail, Transportation.
Each design should display one of the four examples of rhythm that was reviewed earlier in this project. Describe and sketch out your ideas for these designs in your journal before you begin. Be sure to include two examples of posters that reflect your theme and write some comments about them.
(1-2 pages in your journal)
Below are several links to assist you in your research for a theme:
You will hand in the following for this project:
· The history of poster design
· Four examples of poster art that use each of the different types of rhythm with
comments and definitions
· Research a poster art style to recreate with two examples documented
· Investigate a theme to use for you final two posters and display two examples
of your chosen theme with comments for your final series
· Design sketches for the final work with comments to which two types of
rhythm to be used
· 1 A4 Adobe Illustrator file (.ai), print document (300dpi, CMYK) of an event that is taking place within the city of Shanghai using an art movement of your choice
· 2 A3 Adobe Illustrator file (.ai), print document (300dpi, CMYK) files of a poster
theme of your choice using one type of rhythm for each piece